General Job Description
The Estimator is responsible for projecting and controlling construction costs for assigned projects, from the RFP and bidding phase, through drawing and Schedule of Values (SOV) reviews, to project start up and completion.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage project bid startup including review and analysis of all drawings and RFP specifications, set up of master template, and staff/team communication.
- Scope project and create list of subcontractors, trades, materials needed. Write scope sheets.
- Create and send bid invitation to, and obtain bids from, subcontractors, subcontractor competition, specialty trades, and supply houses.
- Negotiate price and confirm subcontractor participation.
- Create estimate template incorporating TBG and client SOVs, and manage SOV review.
- Maintain project correspondence, documentation, and revisions.
- Provide recap to senior management and sales including preliminary costs vs. hard bid costs, competition, schedule, cost spread, and subcontractor risk.
- Respond to RFPs following TBG checklist.
- Manage project startup process including handoff meeting, drawing log, contractor and subcontractor notification, project management sub-list, printed plans, permits, and follow-up on builder’s risk quote and bonds.
- Develop and implement new purchasing strategies to deliver ongoing cost reductions and process simplification.
- Maintain relationships with subcontractors and suppliers.
- Establish new relationships with subcontractors and suppliers to ensure adequate resources for all projects and to continually improve pricing and quality of work.
- Negotiate pricing contracts with subcontractors and suppliers.
Skills & Experience
- Demonstrated track record of successful construction estimating on projects of $1,000,000 or more.
- Strong ability to analyze numerical information and construction plans and drawings with the purpose of determining project requirements and budget.
- High level of detail orientation, documentation, and reporting skills.
- Strong communication skills with work teams, project managers, vendors, clients, building owners, and senior management.
- Track record of focus and emphasis on quality.
- Strong computer skills including MS Excel, iSqFt, and On Screen Take Off.
About The Burt Group
The Burt Group, Inc. is a highly respected general contracting and construction management firm serving Central Texas clients with commercial interior and ground-up development in retail and healthcare environments. Our team delivers successful projects in sustainable construction with unmatched consistency, exceptional expertise, extraordinary quality, and unparalleled customer service.
To apply, please send your resume and the position of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.